Downtown Pittsfield, Inc. and the Berkshire Athenaeum will present a StoryWalk® of Ty Allan Jackson’s book “When I Close My Eyes” page by page throughout Downtown Pittsfield, MA, from July 7-21, 2021.
“When I Close My Eyes” is illustrated by Jonathan Shears, and the StoryWalk® features a new Spanish translation by Rosalia Padilla.
16 local businesses and organizations in Downtown Pittsfield will be participating in the StoryWalk®, and you can access a map and virtual tour at https://tinyurl.com/PittsfieldStoryWalk. Download the PocketSights app to follow the virtual walking tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device. (A list of locations is also included below.)
The StoryWalk® can be completed at any time but if you stop by the Children’s Library at the Berkshire Athenaeum (1 Wendell Avenue) Monday-Thursday, 10 am to 9 pm, or on Saturday, 10 am to 5 pm, you can enter a free raffle to win one of five limited edition “When I Close My Eyes” posters signed by the author. The Grand Prize Winner will also receive a tote bag full of library swag. While inside the library, StoryWalk® participants are encouraged to check out the amazing mural inspired by the book.
On Monday, July 12 at 11 am, join Ty Allan Jackson in the Berkshire Athenaeum’s auditorium for Storytime and Craft. Ty will read “When I Close My Eyes”, followed by an opportunity to meet the author and participate in a collage craft activity inspired by the book. This event is free, and no registration is required. Masks are required for all indoor children’s programs at the library.
The StoryWalk® Project was created by Anne Ferguson of Montpelier, VT and developed in collaboration with the Vermont Bicycle & Pedestrian Coalition (VBPC) and the Kellogg Hubbard Library.
The Downtown Pittsfield StoryWalk®is brought to you by Downtown Pittsfield, Inc. and the Berkshire Athenaeum. For more information, visit downtownpittsfield.com.
1. START: Dottie’s Coffee Lounge (444 North St.)
2. Circa (436 North St.)
3. Radiance Yoga (401 North St.)
4. Hotel on North (297 North St.)
5. Paul Rich & Sons (242 North St.)
6. AdLib, Inc. (215 North St.)
7. Steven Valenti’s Clothing (157 North St.)
8. Barrington Stage Company’s Wolfson Center (122 North St.)
9. Berkshire Bank (99 North St.)
10. Lee Bank (75 North St.)
11. Phoenix Theatres Beacon Cinema (57 North St.)
12. Marketplace Cafe (53 North St.)
13. Deidre’s Special Day (2 South St. #100)
14. Colonial Theatre (111 South St.)
15. Patrick’s Pub (26 Bank Row)
16. FINISH: Berkshire Athenaeum Children’s Library (Bartlett Ave.)
To download the app, visit https://pocketsights.com/tour-guide-app